Friday, August 27, 2010

Birthdays, fairies and tutus


Just got back from my cousin Jonathan's birthday dinner in the city. At first, I was reluctant to go, because there were plenty of things at home that I needed to do. But as it turned out, I was quite grateful that I had gone. It was a happy occasion, as most birthdays are. Jonathan turns one today, and he may not know it yet, but this day every year will be his special day. I think it's special for all of us too, watching him grow from the day he was born. Slowly, he grew to a one-year-old, and soon enough, he will have his own personality and we'll all laugh at the absurd yet funny things that he does. Don't we just love that about birthdays?

Every year, you attend their birthdays, and every year they grown an inch taller, and soon enough they'll be taller than you. They change throughout the years, their interests slowly change from tutus and fairies to hard rock music. Some don't change, and still like fairies and occasionally dress up in a tutu even when they're close to adulthood, which I think, in a way, is great. Of course, there is still a lot for me to understand about children who love fairies and fantasize to be ballerinas as I was always the non-stereotype kid that people did not have a category for, but on the other hand, maybe that should remain a mystery to me.

I'm really looking forward to watching my younger cousins grow and grow each year. It's a shame that I only see them during special occasions, as I love watching them do whatever it is that they do. I don't know what it is, but children at their age are just so fascinating to watch.

No comments:


{2011} septemberaugustjulyjunemayaprilmarchfebruaryjanuary
{2010} decembernovemberoctoberseptemberaugustjulyjunemayapril

Blog by Michelle Kathryn 2010-2011. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...