Friday, November 18, 2011

A completely endearing train ride

It was Sunday. I was working that day, instead of Saturday. And boy, was I glad that I worked on Sunday instead, and got on that train, and became completely entranced by this little wonder.

This little wonder was a little boy, sitting in front of me, with his legs outstretched, looking out the window. He was wearing a red hat, and had this wonderous look on his face. He was waiting for the train to go, repeatedly asking his granddad when it would go. He was so excited. Then the train started to move. And at every station we stopped, he would say, "This is our station, Pa!" or "We live here, let's get off!" His granddad would remind him that they're not supposed to get off.

Throughout the train ride, he kept asking his granddad questions. He would ask, "why?" or "how" or "really?". Repeatedly. I couldn't hear his granddad's voice, but I could hear quite clearly the curiosity ringing in his voice with each of his questions. And I loved that so much. I loved his burning curiosity for every little small detail. He was so curious, and I can't help but love that. It was just so darn endearing.

It's no secret that I love kids, but this wasn't it. I realised that I miss being curious. I miss wanting to know about everything, just for the sake of it. I miss feeling like I'm on the top of the world, instead of feeling the weight of the world on my shoulders. I've forgotten what it felt like. I've forgotten what it's like to ask questions all the time. To be a kid. I realised I lost that somewhere down the road.

I'm not asking to be a kid again, but I want to find that curiosity again. That spark of wonder. Those 'whoaaaa, really? Are you serious?' moments, that kept my ear peeled to the boy's voice the entire train ride. Somewhere on that train, I knew I was going to find that. Again. And this time, I'm not going to lose it.

2 comments:

Sharde said...

i love this post. i was a nanny for the past year, and now that i don't do it anymore, i miss that spark that is in kids that doesn't exist in adults anymore. i definitely am always curious about things, and i ponder alot. and google everything. lol, i do like to know the answer to all of my questions!

sharde @ the style projects

Unknown said...

Yes, it's really great to be curious about everything. For sure, we like to know the answers to all our questions. Thanks for commenting!


{2011} septemberaugustjulyjunemayaprilmarchfebruaryjanuary
{2010} decembernovemberoctoberseptemberaugustjulyjunemayapril

Blog by Michelle Kathryn 2010-2011. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...